The Problem with eFax

Maybe I’m the last person to find this out, but just in case you’re about to go through the hassle of signing up for eFax, let me save you the trouble.  eFax is crap! Here’s why:

Faxes Forced to be Included in Emails

There’s no way to have eFax just notify you of an incoming fax.  They HAVE to send you the whole fax as an attachment.  What if you’re receiving a credit card number in a fax? Well tough luck, it’s getting sent unencrypted.

Bad Customer Service

eFax won’t help you with most customer service issues on the phone.  Instead, they expect you to use their online chat.  And the reps are very slow and unhelpful.  When you try to cancel your account, they make you go through a long survey and your account won’t be canceled until you fully answer all their questions.  And forget about getting a refund for unused service.  If your account just renewed for a year (with no notice) and you try to cancel, too bad, you’re not getting your money back.

Can’t Keep Your Number

You put your fax number on your business cards, on your website, in your email signature, maybe company letterhead, etc.   For whatever reason, maybe one the ones listed here, you decide to switch from eFax.  Get your credit card out, because you’re going to need new business cards.  eFax’s customer agreement says

YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE NOT THE OWNER OF ANY eFAX NUMBER ASSIGNED TO YOU BY j2 GLOBAL YOU ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED FROM CAUSING OR ATTEMPTING TO CAUSE THE eFAX NUMBER ASSIGNED TO YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER SERVICE PROVIDER, TELEPHONE CARRIER OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY (ALSO SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS “PORTING” THE TELEPHONE NUMBER). IN THE EVENT YOU ARE FOUND TO HAVE VIOLATED THIS PROHIBITION YOU AGREE TO IMMEDIATELY RETURN THE NUMBER TO j2 GLOBAL AND PAY TO j2 GLOBAL AN AMOUNT EQUAL TO $500 (OR THE EQUIVALENT IN LOCAL CURRENCY). YOU AUTHORIZE j2 GLOBAL TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT CREDIT CARD OR TAKE ANY OTHER MEASURES REQUIRED TO COLLECT THIS PAYMENT.

Other than that, eFax is OK.  🙂

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Problem with eFax

1. Jeff STP says:

Hi Eric,

I’m really sorry that Efax has given you such a hard time. The service itself can actually be pretty terrific if you take away the negative experiences you’ve gone through. If this ordeal hasn’t put you off Fax to Email altogether, I’d like to recommend MyFax.

Firstly, I do work for MyFax, or rather, Protus IP Solutions. Our faxing solution is very similar to Efax, with a few notable exceptions:

1. Our fax is NOT forced into an email. You can disable it if you wish and just recieve the notification. Further, if you do want the fax included, we encrypt it with SSL encryption (the same as an online bank) and we are HIPAA compliant (which means you can recieve credit card information knowing it’s a secure transmission with our service)

2. Our customer service is 24/7, and we always answer the phone. 🙂 The service is month to month with no contract, and you can change or cancel at anytime without fee or penalty. It’s really that simple.

3. If you choose to leave out service we will release the number to you wherever you wish to take it. Obviously our goal is to try and keep you as a customer, but we feel that once you try our service even for one month, you’ll probably stay with us for as long as you are in business.

4. This wasn’t mentioned above, but since we’re talking about Efax specifically, I thought I’d mention price. Our service is only $10 a month, for 200 pages recieved, and 100 pages sent. We also inlcude a local or a toll free number at no extra charge. You pay nothing extra whatsoever for having a toll free number! We’ll even throw in the first month at no charge for you to try it out!

While I could pitch all day on this or our other two products that help businesses run as well as they do, I’ll leave the ball in your court. I can be reached at 888-733-0000 ext 524 directly, or at jstpierre@protus.com. Perhaps I’ll speak with you soon!

Be Well.

Jeff St. Pierre

2. Ken Whitfield says:

eFax is also impossible to cancel once you get fed up with paying for junk faxes. I discovered that they were selling my fax numbers to junk mail vendors and asked them to cancel my subscription. Six months later, and they are still refusing to cancel me. I have called and emailed and called again numerous times over the past six months. Finally, I had to close my bank account from which they were withdrawing funds each and every month. Only then did I get a response from eFax demanding new bank account information and claiming that I had never contacted them about closing my account. Talk about a scam!

3. Mark Sullivan says:

Yes, they email you a fax in the clear, but it’s an image. It’s not like the credit card number is in the byte stream. Mostly because there are a lot of more attractive targets, I don’t worry about the security of the files coming through email.

My big complaint with them is that they don’t seem to have enough lines. My callers constantly get busy signals and, worse, messages that the number has been disconnected. A few hours later, it’s all working again. This happens multiple times per week. I have a customer using eVoice and they are having the same troubles. It is not unusual for me to call them and get a recording that the number is not in service.

I see from Jeff’s email that they will let you port out your number which I will have to do soon if they don’t fix their capacity problem.

Jeff points out that the price is low and the numbers are “free”. Of course, they are only terminating calls on these FGD lines so the originating telcos are paying efax for every call. No wonder the lines are free.

Other than the high percentage of failed calls, which I cannot afford to have, I think it’s a great service. I have had it for six or seven years and had no trouble until recently.

4. eFax customer service is truly the very best in Customer DISservice that I have seen. They are surpassed by lousy service by Chase Bank and Bank of America and Well Fargo. They are experts on not caring for a customer. So be it. Oh..do you know why thay are calle Chase? Miss a payment or can’t get a rep to work with you and they’ll chase you down forever. Oh… did I forget to tell you why BoA is called that? Ever see a Boa Constrictor squeeze it’s prey? BoA will squeeze every second of your available time. They must be in competition with Chase. Wells Fargo is not far behind. So, eFax, you’re to be congratulated for being among the companies with the BEST customer DISservice of all time. Good work. Readers take heed. My eFaxes are not clear and I can’t get access to one of our other eFax accounts.

5. Ted Lawrence says:

EFAX is really problematic. I tried to use them to cast my vote in the 2014 elections, but it did not work! I called to cancel. They have record of the call, reporting the problems I had but did not process the cancelation. So I have been paying $12.95 a month for a service I have never used and they have a no refund policy. Boy, I am frustrated!

6. BARRY EDMUNDS says:

I AGREE that they are crap. When I wanted a trial period they contacted me with 30 minutes.

However I am trying to cancel and am having problems.
    1. The person was Indian and I could not understand him
    2. He promised confirmation by email…..NOT ARRIVED.
    3ON a PREMIUM rated line ( You cannot use Chat in UK) I was asked for my pin number. I was told he would send it to me and then to call back. WHAT nonsense is that. He had found my account already

DO NOT USE THEM, YOU WILL BE SORRY

7. Philip Flood says:

We were customers of Maxemail for many years and were pleased with their service.
    Recently when we tried to access an old fax through their website it was relinked to efax.
    However our login and password were not recognized and we were invited to sign up for an account which we did not do. Around that time there was a charge from efax on our credit card for $16.95 (maxemail was $10.95). We tried to cancel even though we had never signed up, and you can guess the rest-maybe that is why BBB give them an F after having had loads of complaints? We have disputed the charge with American Express and initially AMX sided with efax and we protested but that is still unresolved as E fax are claiming we entered into an agreement with them, which we did not! We will be cancelling all our AMX accounts as well as our business merchant account if this matter is not resolved and they allow our card to be charged.
    In my opinion this is outright fraud. Apart from that it it very stupid as had maxemail notified us that they were out of business and recommended efax there was a better than 99% chance that we would have contacted efax and become a subscriber. After all we still need a fax service, but it will NEVER EVER be efax. BTW we have reluctantly gone back to the usual fax machine as I will never trust another online fax service after our experience with Maxemail and Efax